Hello, friends. Here at GrayDays Gardens, autumnal music is the house specialty and so September can only mean one thing: a lovingly-curated hour of songs that are the sonic equivalent of the scent of burning leaves on the breeze, or a sun-faded photograph—soft-edged, wistful, probably with no small amount of tape hiss, and guaranteed this month to exceed our ‘M4’ pledge of maximum melody and moderate melancholy.
You can listen to this episode via the embedded player just below in this post—if you don’t see it, try turning off your ad-blocker then reloading the page—or on the Mixcloud website, via the Mixcloud mobile app, on your Sonos system, etc.
There’s also a more barebones iteration of this episode’s playlist on Spotify (minus my commentary, as well as songs that are missing from their library).
If you like what you hear, please support the artists. You’ll find buy links to all the tracks in the bulleted list below.
- Trevor Sloan, “Touch of Sorrow” (2021) • BUY
- Sir Orfeo, “War Is Done” (2020) • BUY
- Marta Del Grandi, “Amethyst” (2021) • BUY
- Genevieve Dawson, “Garden” (2020) • BUY
- Arthur Verocai, “Caboclo” (1972) • BUY
- Hamish Hawk, “This, Whatever It Is, Needs Improvements” (2021) • BUY
- Alex Pester, “Never Be That Way / (goldfish bowl)” (2021) • BUY
- Nina Savary, “Les Regards” (2021) • BUY
- The Cleaners from Venus, “Blue Swan” (1988) • BUY
- Evan Wright, “Sound from Out the Window” (2021) • BUY
- Shannon Lay, “A Thread to Find” (2021) • BUY
- A Girl Called Eddy, “Life Thru the Same Lens” (2004) • BUY
- D. Rothon, “Adieu à L’Écurie” (2021) • BUY
- Sir Orfeo, “Proof” (2020) • BUY
- Afternoon Bike Ride, “It’s OK, I’m Here” (2021) • BUY
In this episode I mentioned a blog post from a few years back in which I rounded up some favorite autumnal pop/rock albums; you can find that post here.
Also mentioned in this episode is my friend Megan Foldenauer who, among other artistic endeavors, makes tiny photorealistic paintings. You can learn more about her art here.